Monday, July 9, 2012

No Chocolate Brownies

Upon seeing that S had eaten ALL the chocolate in the house, I had to laugh at his expression when he said he wanted something chocolatey. All forlorn and sad, because he knew the reason there was no chocolate had nothing to do with anyone else but him. I think I ate about 3 squares of it. Super gf to the rescue - I offered to make him something baked with chocolate. I loved the look on his face again, he told me I was a wizard in the kitchen. I took the compliment - I didn't really feel like telling him at that time we had loads of cocoa in the pantry!



So I flicked through Donna Hays Fast, Fresh and Simple, and found a recipe for brownies which had been designed for times when the chocolate stores had been chipped away by nibblers and snackers! Perfect!



Not so perfect though, if you're on a diet, or healthy eating plan or anything like that. Still have some of course, they're delicious! Just do like I did, and cut them up into quite small squares... and hide them! I added a tablespoon of cinnamon into the mix which added a spiced warmth to these already moreish bites!


Standby Brownies
Ingredients
150g butter
1.75 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour


Method
1) Preheat oven to 160C.
2) Place the butter, sugar and cocoa in a saucepan on a low heat, and stir until the butter has melted. 
3) Spoon into a bowl and add the vanilla and eggs, whisking well.
4) Sift the flour over the mix, and stir to combine.
5) Pour the mix into a 20cm square cake tin lined with non stick baking paper, and bake for 30-35 minutes until the centre is just set.
Makes about 16.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I cant be trusted with brownies. There's no such thing as a small peice for me haha. They look great :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! I know what you mean - I'm usually able to resist eating too much because my bf eats most of them before I get to them! I have to hide the chocolate from him otherwise he'll eat it ALL!

      Delete