Monday, July 2, 2012

Roast cod with a hot garlic and chilli dressing - Movida Rustica

I've been getting into running this week. This is unusual, really unusual. Running has always been my nemesis, I've never excelled at it, always last, always struggling. That's not to say I wasn't good at sport, it was all I was good at. I had a lot of  "potential" at school apparently, but I never really lived up to it. I was too busy mucking around and being a smartarse. What a surprise huh ;-) But despite being a pretty decent basketball and netball player, handy in tennis and squash, and a trophy holding swimmer - I was, and still am, not a runner. My dad used to tell me that it's one of the only ways to get truly fit, but that he was never a runner either. He played for South Fremantle as a ruckman for years, so his job was to run up and down the field. But you can tell by his gait, he's not a natural. Talented athlete, but not a runner. So it runs in the family? Well, I can try to defy that. 

I recently started the Couch to 5km program, and am currently in week 2. Though still early days, I can feel myself getting better at it each run. I feel like there are more times where I find a rhythm, than where I struggle and shuffle along. I felt like a run today (I can't even believe I would say that. I've always hated to run), so I went down to my new spot, around the lake, and ran. I felt good most of the time! I was starving by the time I got home though...

This is what we had. Simple, healthy, quick. There are fabulous flavours, what you save in time you certainly do not lose in deliciousness! This recipe calls for cod in the title, and groper or trevalla in the recipe (huh?), but we used flounder, which was great for us. We aren't big fish eaters so don't really want a strong flavoured fish, which this wasn't. Meaty and satisfying, covering the fleshy fish in the hot garlic, parsley and chilli oil produced an aroma that will make you call someone over to get a whiff! Served with some boiled new potatoes and a dressed salad, this is a light meal that can be done in no time at all. This WILL be made again!




Roast cod with a hot garlic and chilli dressing

Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 tbsp EVOO
1.2kg skinless groper or blue eyed trevalla fillets, cut into 2 pieces (we used flounder)

Ajada
160ml EVOO
6 garlic cloves, sliced
2 red bullet or othe rmedium hot chillies - halved, seeded and thinly sliced
2 tbsp finely chopped chilli

Method
1) Preheat the oven to 180C.

2) Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large, heavy based ovenproof pan over a high heat. Add the fish, season well and cook for 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to the oven, and bake for a further 6-8 minutes or until just cooked through.

3) Meanwhile, to the ajada, heat the oil in a small heavy based frying pan over a low-medium heat. Add the garlic and shake the pan for 1 minute, or until the garlic is golden but not burnt. Add the chilli and stir for 30 seconds, then stir in the parsley and remove from the heat.

4) Place the cooked fish fillets on a warm plate, spoon over the ajada and serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. What a great meal to end a run. I was never a runner. I love exercising and jumping about but I dont have the lungs for running haha. Maybe I should try the program. I love the name

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was delicious! I felt really satisfied afterwards! I know exactly what you mean about not being a runner, I still don't really think I am but this couch to 5km is really helping. In the first week you run for 60 seconds and then walk for 90 seconds, which is great. Then you build up to 90 seconds running and 2mins walking and so on - until you're only running! I'm a big fat fatty atm lol and this is working for me! But I think you have to just do the exercise that you enjoy and that works for you.

    ReplyDelete